Sure, everyone is familiar with the big musical stars of the 1980s. Acts like Michael Jackson and Madonna and Cyndi Lauper ruled the charts, while other bands like Devo, Stevie Wonder and Flock of Seagulls will forever have a place in popular culture.
But what about some of the lesser known bands of the 1980s? Don’t they deserve a little recognition, too?
In an effort to share the musical wealth, here are some of my favorite bands and artists from the 1980s that have gone unappreciated and largely ignored.
Hopefully, this list will be the first step towards bringing some of these forgotten musical gems back into the spotlight.
- Crowded Mouse House
- Men at Twerk
- Simply Fred
- Mister Sister (Cross-dressing religious band)
- Twisted Mister (Everyone in the band had a twirly mustache)
- Ironic Maiden (Just a bunch of girls who pretended they weren’t that into the music they were playing)
- Silly Vanilli (Comedy R&B group)
- Gilly Vanilli (All fish R&B group)
- Chili Vanilli (Latino-influenced R&B group)
- Billy Vanilli (some douchebag I went to high school with)
- Flat Benetar (Promising singer whose career was tragically cut short in a steamroller accident)
- Splat Benetar (Promising singer whose career was tragically cut short when she fell off a building)
- Tears for Steers (Radical vegan punk rockers)
- Hall and Goats (the best man-goat act since vaudeville)
- Lionel Bitchy (super effeminate R&B singer)
- Lionel Twitchy (great singer with a bad crystal meth habit)
- Lionel Itchy (sensual R&B singer who got a lot of STDs because loved the ladies)
- Lionel Snitchy (we thought he was cool but he ran his mouth)
- Lionel Stitchy (terrible singer but great at macrame)