From time to time (OK, never), your Monkey gets an email from an eager fan asking him how he did it. How did he–a simple typewriting Monkey–manage to fail so spectacularly at starting and maintaining a blog? How do all of his opinions consistently fail to register in the popular zeitgeist? How does he somehow get negative post views?
Well, the time has come for your Monkey to spill his secrets. If you follow the exclusive plan that laid out below, you can be sure that your blog will flounder in obscurity for months and years to come.
- Jump around from topic to topic with no rhyme or reason
- Leave blog abandoned and empty for months or years at a time
- Revisit blog after one such long layoff and write post promising that “things will be different this time, baby…I’ll post all the time.”
- Don’t post all the time, or so often, or at all
- Don’t follow similar blogs, or offer encouraging comments to bloggers who are also trying to make it
- Vacillate between angry first-person narratives and half-baked fiction
- Pretend to be a monkey
- Do not ask leading questions or start interesting conversations
- Do not find unique ways to approach a subject
- Honestly tell people how many followers you have, especially if it is in the single digits
- Comment on your own blog posts in a transparent attempt to fake engagement
- Mash bananas into your keyboard when you get frustrated that the words won’t come
- Promote blog by visiting playgrounds and asking kids if they want to come over and check out something “really cool online”