Your monkey has a challenge ahead of himself today, my friends.
It is Saturday, the sun is shining, the air is warm, and yet your primate protagonist is doing his best to sit at his desk and power through some freelance writing projects.
The demons of distraction are swirling about him, even as he types this message to you.
Pssst. Hey buddy….
- Why not take a break and watch TV?
- Why not check Facebook?
- Maybe you should play some guitar?
- Aren’t there some pictures of girls that you should be googling? And then ogling?
- Don’t you want to move a bunch of stuff from one spot to another in the apartment without actually accomplishing anything?
- Don’t you want to see if there is anything on Netflix that you might want to watch, but then not actually watch anything?
- Shouldn’t you let that homeless guy out of the locked cabinet in the basement?
Plus, Mrs. Monkey is out of the house today, so there is no one to keep your Monkey’s mind from wandering into dark corners of self-doubt and despair, or from assuming that while he is once again chained to his writing desk, everyone else is out having sexy cookouts and lawn orgies.
If your Monkey has one weapon in his toolbox today, is that he knows the challenge ahead of him. If he grits his teeth, bears down, and gets some writing done, he will be ahead of the game and be able to submit a nice little invoice by the close of business today.
If he gets distracted, fiddles around, fucks about, or cracks an early beer, then he will get upset with himself and feel even worse.
He will watch his stomach get bloated, worry about his rapidly advancing age and rapidly declining physical condition, and spend most of the afternoon weighing himself and trying to decide if he is toeing the fine line between handsomely husky or cringingly chubby.
This would not be a good outcome, my friends. How many good Monkeys have we already lost to distractions, weight insecurity, and charges of the unlawful imprisonment of the homeless?
Thus he shall do everything in his power to stay focused on the TOPIC AT HAND.